Among the confirmed Evening Program speakers for 2005 are the
following. You never know who might show up... Each evening will
full-length talks plus Q&A with between two and four speakers,
people with direct experience and also movement activists and
CLICK HERE to see the schedule of who is speaking when!
- Abraham J. Bonowitz, 2004/05 Abolitionist of the Year
- Celeste Fitzgerald, Director, New Jerseyans for Alternatives to the Death Penalty
- Ruth Friedman, Death Penalty Appeals Attorney
- Shujaa Graham, California Death Row Survivor
- Rick Halperin, Co-Founder of the F&V; Professor of History and Human Rights at Southern Methodist University
- Shakeerah Hameen, Wife of Abdullah Hameen who was executed by Delaware
- David Kaczynski, Brother of the Unabomber
- Sapna Mirchandani, Lawyer/Activist, on the March 1st victory in the Simmons case.
- Bill Pelke, Co-founder of the F&V; Murder Victim Family Member
- Dale S. Recinella, on the misuse of the bible to support the death penalty
- Shari Silberstein, Co-Director of Equal Justice USA/Quixote Center (www.ejusa.org)
- Diann Rust-Tierney, Executive Director of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- Shabaka Wa-Qlimi, Florida Death Row Survivor
- George White, Murder Victim Family Member, Exonerated Prisoner
And other Death Row Family Members and Murder Victim Family
Matthew Fogg, vice-president of Blacks in Government, member of the
Marshall Service, and a member of the board of Amnesty International
USA. Matt will serve as Master of Ceremonies at the Noon rally on
Eric Blakely, an Austin, TX recording artist who will be with us
the Fast & Vigil to provide musical interludes and just be a fellow
Spoken Word by The Original Woman and
also by The Princess of
with accompaniment by Corey Johnson.
Fast & Vigil evening program speakers are pictured below.
Fast & Vigil Co-Founders Rick Halperin, Marietta
Bill Pelke. Marietta and Bill are among numerous murder victim
members who oppose the death penalty.
Recording Artist Steve Earle played last year. Unfortunately he will
be with us this year, but other artists will be!
Florida Death Row Survivors Juan Melendez and Shabaka WaQlimi (Juan
speaker last year). And that's six-year F&V veteran Maria Romstedt
expressing herself on the left.
Magdaleno M. Rose-Avila shared movement history and his own
a long-time death penalty abolitionist.
SMU Professor of History and Human Rights (and F&V Co-Founder) Rick
Halperin shared the ignoble history of the US Supreme Court and the